Macro Shot At Night.

LearnFromBasic

Jul 8, 2010
Bishan (Central)
www.flickr.com
Hi everybody,

Advice needed. May I know what are the settings you use for night macro shots? I'm using Canon EOS 550D Kit I together with Raynox DCR-250. I also noticed that when I try using Av Mode and with the Flash Light on and Aperture 16, the shutter speed went as low as 1 Seconds. My night macro shots I usually went is at Lower Pierce Reservoir.

I also need to know more about Bulb mode on EOS 550D. I tried using bulb mode when taking fireworks at YOG Ceremony the shutter speed was 1-2secs. Is this right? From what I heard from my friend is When we press the shutter it will start to open and we press the shutter again to close.
Thanks for your help.

for macro, use these settings... M mode, 1/80-125, f11-16, ISO400 or 800...

Hi everybody,

Advice needed. May I know what are the settings you use for night macro shots? I'm using Canon EOS 550D Kit I together with Raynox DCR-250. I also noticed that when I try using Av Mode and with the Flash Light on and Aperture 16, the shutter speed went as low as 1 Seconds. My night macro shots I usually went is at Lower Pierce Reservoir.

I also need to know more about Bulb mode on EOS 550D. I tried using bulb mode when taking fireworks at YOG Ceremony the shutter speed was 1-2secs. Is this right? From what I heard from my friend is When we press the shutter it will start to open and we press the shutter again to close.
Thanks for your help.

It seem that the blind is leading the blind ;p The shutter will only stay open when you hold down the shutter button. The shutter will close when you release the shutter button. The only slight variation is when you use mirror lock up and you need to press the shutter a twice.

By the way why are you using f/16 for a macro shot? f/16 is a very small aperture.

It seem that the blind is leading the blind ;p The shutter will only stay open when you hold down the shutter button. The shutter will close when you release the shutter button. The only slight variation is when you use mirror lock up and you need to press the shutter a twice.

By the way why are you using f/16 for a macro shot? f/16 is a very small aperture.

to increase the DOF

What aperture do you suggest?

BTW, I use even smaller aperture than this.;)

Last edited:

I used f16-f18 during Macro for DOF on close-up..... Not everyone shot with f2.8 for macro :think:

Icic! Learnt something today :)

Bro, using the Raynox DCR-250 makes dof very thin...

Ok thanks everyone.:) BTW, what is DOF?
SORRY for my noobie question.

Depth of field

BTW, most use Manual mode for macro. Night macro, you can't use Av mode as camera will meter for ambient light.

Last edited:
Depth of field

BTW, most use Manual mode for macro. Night macro, you can't use Av mode as camera will meter for ambient light.

Good Advice!!!

1/80, f/13, ISO400
4904900316_3cf87e4b57_z.jpg

I use similar aperture and shutter speed for macro, but I usually use a iso lower than 200 for a cleaner image. Is there any particular reason you use high iso?

BTW, your sample shot looks great! :thumbsup:

i'm using ISO400-800 to get more ambient light as possible during daylight macro...

the photo above was shot in broad day light, but under tree shades thats why ambient light was close to none...

here's another shot taken on a bright day...

1/80, f/11, ISO800
4779781430_e01d1f622d_z.jpg

So no flash was used for daylight shots?
But macro at night when flash must be used, would you use a different setting or same?

i'm using ISO400-800 to get more ambient light as possible during daylight macro...

the photo above was shot in broad day light, but under tree shades thats why ambient light was close to none...

here's another shot taken on a bright day...

1/80, f/11, ISO800

But macro at night when flash must be used, would you use a different setting or same?
i used pop-up flash on that day light shot coz my 580EX got low batt...:sweat:

off coarse, its a must to use flash specially during night macro and settings should be similar...

Macro in the day also need flash unless u are shooting on a very bright day. As ur aperture is very small around 11 to 16, leads to a longer exposure timing. This might cause motion blur due to handshake.